Having your property being brought down by fire is truly heartbreaking. Which is why a lot of homeowners take precautions to keep their house safe. But, do you know that aside from your house, you should also be extra careful in your garage?
Most garages these days stores flammable materials hence, it is truly susceptible to fires. So, have you wondered how does a garage fire start? Well, that will be the topic that we will be discussing in this article.
Causes of Garage Fires
Majority of garage fires are cause by an electrical malfunction. Flames were ignited because of short wirings, overloaded outlets, or because of damaged outlets. That is why it is important that you call for electricians occasionally in your garage.
You must know that garage fires can easily happen if there are a lot of flammable materials inside. Hence, the fire can scatter quickly affecting your house, or maybe even your neighbors’. So, aside from maintenance, it is important to install heat detectors in your garage too.
How to Keep Your Garage Safe
Nobody can guarantee you that your garage is fireproof. But we can offer you some tips so that you can keep it safe:
- Store flammable materials in a safe shed that is not connected to your house. These materials are oil, propane, gasoline, varnish, and paint.
- Avoid storing items on top of your dryer or washer as this can lead to fire.
- Do not overload your outlet.
- If possible, do not use an extension cord in your garage especially when you power appliances.
- Keep your garage clean and organized.
- Install heat alarm as this is more accurate and consistent rather than smoke alarms.
Tips on Preventing a Garage Fire
Since our garage serves a lot of purpose – storage and parking, it is most certainly a dangerous place. You must know that when everything is stored in one area, one simple problem can lead to an explosive fire. Obviously, nobody will want that to happen. So, we have listed below 5 tips that can help you prevent a garage fire:
1. Annually upgrade and inspect your garage’s structure.
2. Remove any flammable substance in your garage and store items properly.
3. Make sure that everything in your garage that needs power is connected securely.
4. See to it that your garage is safe and functional.
5. Install a heat alarm inside your garage.
All garage fires can truly be prevented if everybody would just be extra careful. You just have to make sure that you check what you store inside your garage and make sure that no wirings are having any problems. With the right maintenance and with an organized garage, surely you will not have to worry about garage fires.
Anyway, if you are having problems with your garage door or you want to ask for professional services for its maintenance, let Direct Service Overhead Garage Door Company handle it.
Thinking of when is the right time to install a garage floor coating? Check out the Reasons Why You Need To Have A Garage Floor Coating During Winter.